Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Heart for C


In the early spring, we pressed primroses that were growing in the garden.  Noe they've dried to delicate shades of indigo and yellow.   Maria glues them down onto a piece of paper.

Meanwhile, Louisa tries to instigate a game of peekaboo.

It works!

The fruit of our labor!  Not sure what it will be, but it's for C!

Donnie's sister Cristin was married last Saturday.  We are so happy for her and her wonderful husband, Steve! 

A numbers of factors converged to prevent us from attending the wedding.  In honor of their nuptials, I wanted to share a memory of one of my first interactions with Cristin. 

It was the summer of 2003.  Donnie and I had not yet begun to date, but were in Connecticut together because I was acting in one of his movies.  Though we were not dating, I had a huge and (in my mind) unrequited crush on him. 

We were at a barbeque, and Cristin and I were standing next to one another at the food table.  Something happened to draw our attention.  Cristin and I both found ourselves looking at Donnie, who was off on the other side of the lawn talking with some other guests.

Without preamble, Cristin said, "I love that boy.  I don't know anyone like him."

Faced with C's unfettered honesty, I responded in kind.  "Me neither."

The moment marked the beginning of a relationship, founded on a shared affection for a certain person, but it also crystallized in my mind what's so special about Cris: her honesty, her loyalty, her forthright, loving heart.  Now that I've come to know her a bit better, I can add her incredible work ethic and tenacity to the list.

Cristin has always made me feel welcome in the family.  As a friend and sister, she has been a great contributor to the happiness of our married life.  Now we wish her every joy and blessing as she commences her own married adventure!

Congratulations to you both!  Love from all of us!
Not a wedding photo, obviously.  We are so excited for those!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you wrote here! She is a special one as is Donnie and as are you!!!

    ReplyDelete